3 Minute Read:
Knowing what to expect after your facelift surgery will help you adequately prepare for your procedure and recuperate more comfortably. Check out these recovery tips and timeline to have the safest, most efficient recovery so you can enjoy your rejuvenated appearance and youthful facial contours sooner.
Tips for a Comfortable Recovery
Every patient will experience a slightly different recuperation, so it is important to pay attention to your body and allow adequate time for healing. Dr. Calabria offers several different facelift surgery techniques to achieve the goals of his patients based on their needs, and each one will have a slightly different recovery protocol.
In general, some tips for a more comfortable recovery from facelift surgery include:
- Wear compression garments and surgical dressings to minimize swelling, prevent accumulation of fluids, and provide support to promote healing.
- Carefully follow all of your postoperative care instructions provided by our team.
- Sleep with your head and neck elevated.
- Drink plenty of water to remain hydrated.
- Eat healthy foods to give your body the nutrients it needs to heal.
- Get a lot of sleep and allow your body to relax.
- Avoid touching your face until cleared by Dr. Calabria.
- Gently apply cold compresses to reduce swelling and ease discomfort.
- Incorporate light walks to help promote blood circulation.
- Avoid sun exposure and, when the sun is unavoidable, use sunscreen as well as protective clothing and accessories such as UPF clothing and large-brimmed hats.
Recovery Timeline After Facelift Surgery
The First Week of Facelift Recovery
For seven days following your surgery, you may feel tightness and experience mild bruising, tenderness, numbness, and swelling in your face and neck. You will be instructed to sleep with your head in an upright position for the first week and avoid strenuous exercise for the first few weeks. Most patients begin to heal after the first few days. Prescription medications will be provided to address any discomfort.
The Second Week of Facelift Recovery
You should begin to feel improvements in your facial swelling and bruising, and some patients are comfortable returning to work and light activities at this point. Stitches are typically removed within the first week or two. Puffiness will continue to decrease, and the results of your surgery will begin to appear.
The Third Week of Facelift Recovery
Side effects should diminish within the third week, and you may resume some exercising as soon as you are feeling back to normal and cleared to do so by Dr. Calabria. Your results will become more apparent as time passes and your recovery concludes.
One Month After Facelift Surgery
Final results should be fully visible now, and any lingering side effects should dissipate. Most patients can resume strenuous activities at this time.
Incision lines will begin to fade, and your hair or ears should conceal any scars. Any visible scarring can be covered with cosmetics. Skin on the lower face and neck is pulled tighter, smoothing out wrinkles and fine lines. Signs of aging should be less evident, providing youthful results.
If you are considering a facelift or would like more information, schedule a consultation today by calling Dr. Calabria’s Beverly Hills office at 310-879-1488 or filling out our online contact form!
Dr. Calabria is a board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in facelift surgery and looks forward to helping you achieve the youthful appearance you desire.